Monday, January 26, 2009

Thing #23 Time to Fly!

Well, I must say that I had doubts along the way that I would ever get to the end, not because it wasn't interesting and fun, but just because I never seemed to have time to work on my "things"!
I think Library Thing is one of my favorites, as are the more creative apps like picnik, flickr and some of the image generators. I am not artistic, so having web sites where I can play with visuals is a real plus. I also think just the act of blogging has been enjoyable. I have always liked the idea of keeping a journal, but have never done it. Obviously, I don't want to spill my guts here for everyone to read, but the act of putting thoughts down in a slightly structured way has been good.
I think I am still struggling with some of the "social networking" aspects of many of these applications and tools. I like Facebook, but really don't care is somebody else is reading the same books I am. I'm already in 3 book clubs with people whose facial expressions I can see!
As a learning tool, this has been awesome - I have seen so much interaction and mutual assistance among my staff during our journey to Thing #23. A huge thanks to the Nebraska Library Commission and to Michael, Allana, Christa & Susan for all their work and encouragement. Who knows - maybe I will come to appreciate Twitter some day :)

1 comment:

MM said...

I think a big draw to Facebook and social networking is interaction with peers whom you can't see or simply don't have in the face to face world. That is especially helpful for librarians in the extremely rural areas of our state areas where they may be the only librarian they know and can't even network through something like a book club.

My background is as a historian and I use it to keep in contact and share ideas and discussion with those I went to graduate school with since we are spread around the country and I don't have peers with this interest where I live now.